Thursday, October 25, 2018

the real scare

I guess I should write about Halloween, since I won't have another chance to. Here's the thing: I absolutely love Halloween, every bit of it. I love the haunted houses, the spooky movies, the pumpkin carving, and the apple cider. I love decorating for Halloween, and picking a costume, and I did love trick-or-treating before I started getting snarky remarks for being too old. But I feel like I have had to put that love on pause this year, because I'm busy all the time. It's gotten to a point where my mother made the comment: "You're so busy you don't even have time to think."

When I say "think" I actually mean "daydream." You see, every now and then the thought that Halloween is coming up does cross my mind, but that's about it before my brain has to move on to more pressing topics. College apps are the obvious monster in this story, and as I like to joke about sometimes: Halloween is nothing compared to the Day of the Dead, Nov. 1.

My head feels like it's empty all the time. I have been trying to write this blog post for much longer than I usually spend on blog posts, and I have run out of things to say. For blog posts I usually do the opposite from my other writing-related assignments. Instead of becoming a "content machine," producing sentences upon sentences of well-written and coherent ideas, I turn my brain off. For blog posts, I mute all my thoughts and allow my stream of consciousness to take its course, and I just type out a neat version of that. Right now, my stream of consciousness is a list of what I need to finish interspersed with yelling. I don't want to write that, and I don't think anyone would enjoy reading it.

So for this week, I just want to say to anyone reading this, Happy Halloween. From the bottom of my heart, I hope you all get to watch some spooky movies and eat lots of candy. Enjoy the festivities of this random holiday in the middle of the semester, because in another month we get Thanksgiving and then Christmas, and they're not as good as Halloween.

1 comment:

  1. Halloween is my favorite holiday, so I really feel where you're coming from. Though I don't seem to be quite as busy as you or anybody else for that matter, the constant stress and pressure (those gosh darn college apps) is draining. It's sad to watch one of the best months fly by and not get a chance to enjoy it at its fullest. We always have next year, at least!

    ReplyDelete