Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Didney!

(Yes, I know the title is misspelled. One time I accidentally wrote Didney instead and I thought it was so funny that I just call it Didney now...)

I've been listening to Disney songs a lot recently. A while ago on my birthday I felt like singing along to Disney, so I made a playlist for myself, and it just kind of existed for two weeks since then. A few days ago I saw the playlist, and out of lack of anything else to listen to, I put it on.

Now, some may know that the month of October is a stressful one for seniors, for unknown reasons, and at least I feel like at any point I might shatter like a porcelain doll. But that's just me... However, whenever I'm listening to Disney songs I get surprisingly calm. I'm not saying that my problems suddenly disappear and I become a kid again, I wish. What I mean is that the fantasy that Disney seems to put behind every note has a curing vibe. It's like the song is telling me that if I just breathe through it I'll be fine.

There are also so many themes in any one song, they're not all just "happy, happy, happy." For example, one of my favorites is Hercules' Won't Say I'm in Love. In it, Meg keeps saying she won't fall for Hercules because she's been heartbroken before, which sounds like it would be a relatively somber song. Except, there's the muses in the background saying that they know she is already hooked, and they're so sassy and fun that it counteracts Meg's words. Furthermore, she finishes the song by saying, "At least out loud, I won't say I'm in love," which gives a nice positive finishing touch to the whole thing. So many Disney songs do things like this, where they incorporate many different emotions into one song, but they still turn out positive.

If we want to do the Uni student thing and overanalyze the situation, this could all turn out to be a metaphor to how our senior year is going: overall pain and heartbreak, with some sarcastic humor, but it all turns out fine at the end.

But you know what? I don't wanna do that. I'm not going to look at everything with the idea that there has to be something bigger. I'm just saying, Disney is a pure form of entertainment that can hug you through song, and makes me feel slightly better about myself. So I recommend, if you were once an avid Disney fan, find your favorite songs and give it a try.

For anyone who's curious, here's my playlist:
Won't Say I'm in Love (Hercules), Almost There (Princess and the Frog), I'll Make a Man Out of You (Mulan), Dig a Little Deeper (Princess and the Frog), A Girl Worth Fighting for (Mulan), Friends on the Other Side (Princess and the Frog), The Gospel Truth (Hercules), Never Had a Friend like Me (Alladin), It's Tough to be a God (The Road to El Dorado), Be Our Guest (Beauty and the Beast), I've Got a Dream (Tangled), Under the Sea (Little Mermaid), Mother Knows Best (Tangled), Hakuna Matata (Lion King), Zero to Hero (Hercules), How Far I'll Go (Moana), Shiny (Moana), Hawaiian Roller Coaster (Lilo & Stitch), Poor Unfortunate Souls (Little Mermaid), I See the Light (Tangled).





4 comments:

  1. Disney definitely has a special charm I can't quite describe. Maybe it's like you say, Disney ends their songs (and stories) with a positive note. Or, maybe it's because Disney grows with us from childhood allowing us a chance to head back to our care-free moments in times of stress (you may disregard my own over-analyzed thought on the subject.) Nevertheless, it's nice that you have you own way of chilling out. Keep hanging in there Coco, you're at the home stretch of high school.
    FYI, I'm also huge fan of Hercules's soundtrack, the muses are just the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite Disney soundtrack is Nightmare Before Christmas (which I will proudly watch in June). It has its serious moments but it's overall so goofy that I just find myself smiling. It's my go-to during math homework (IDK why. Tim Burton apparently stimulates my math brain). Also Tangled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disney is certainly supernaturally powerful in the way you described. Music (and Disney songs in particular) are great for giving us a moment of clarity, or calmness. They're also great for reminding us we don't need to stress as much. Hopefully senior year will only get better, and in the wise words of the famed sages Timon and Pumbaa, hakuna matata.

    ReplyDelete