I don't get sick. That's just a fact about me that I always carry with me, because it's true. It's very difficult for me to get sick. I always eat my fruits and veggies, I try my best to sleep well, and I try to get some sunlight every now and then. However, I still got sick this week!
Then I realized something. The thing we forget about health is that our mental, physical, and emotional states are all connected, and impact each other. If you're too stressed at school and constantly frying your brain, or if you're heartbroken, or if you never relax, you will get sick. Sickness is your body's way of telling you something's wrong, and you can have all of the physical stuff in order, if the other two are out of wack, you're still vulnerable.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that while we pay attention to not share drinks, and don't hug sick people, and stay home when we're feeling bad, it's all pointless without the mental and emotional. That doesn't mean that the other stuff isn't important, it is. I fully support the ideas expressed in Dr. Majerus' Limerick: A Sickly Student. I'm just saying, that's not the only thing.
So, every now and again, allow yourself to cry , get back into that hobby that you've been putting off, take a walk outside, talk to a friend, and not think about your homework for a bit. Even if you feel fine, and the work is not stressing you, it's still beneficial to step out a little bit.
And always remember to DRINK WATER.
I think it's sooooo important to keep in mind every aspect of your health!! Take mental health days!!! Please take care of yourself so you can try to feel the best you can <3
ReplyDeleteI read something once that described stress as sprinting for your life away from a whirlwind of promises, and the more stressed you get, the harder it is to slow down and relax because you're so afraid that that whirlwind is going to catch up to you. But the more you keep running, the more your mental and emotional stability erode, because you can never catch your breath.
ReplyDeleteI think your blog post says a lot of the same things. Living at breakneck pace 24/7 isn't the way humans were built, but we aspire for it right up to the point we collapse.
I love this! And I'm so glad you're not sick anymore so I get to spend yearbook with you hehe:) The emotional part of this post really resonated with me, and it reminded me of how you really helped me out last week by checking in with me and asking how I was. You are an example of your own words, as you share smiles with people around you which is just like handing Kleenex for your emotions over to your neighbor. But remember - taking care of yourself is just as important as taking care of others!:) <3 So glad you're feeling better.
ReplyDeleteYou're going to make me cry you beautiful being, thanks so much!
DeleteI love this post because it echoes one of the lessons my parents drilled into my head at a young age: Your health is the most important thing in your life. The accident I was in echoed the lesson as well. I mean, when you think about it, it's true. Where's the value other stuff like fame or money when you don't possess the good health to enjoy any of that fame or money. I'm happy you're now healthier and able to enjoy that fame and/or fortune in the future!
ReplyDelete